Punk Rock Karaoke offered songs from bands such as Fugazi and Sonic Youth, groups that entered the music scene in the ’80s and now draw nostalgic crowds. Event organizers Patrick Tyrrell and Jay Johnson personally record all background tracks, which allows them to provide a wide selection of songs.

Held in the city that spawned Minor Threat, Bad Brains and Fugazi, Friday night’s Punk Rock Karaoke at the Black Cat Backstage in Washington was a celebration of a seminal genre and its aging but ever-passionate fans.

What set it apart from most karaoke events, though, were the rigorously constructed backing tracks that event organizers Patrick Tyrrell, a Brooklyn law student, and his partner, Jay Johnson, recorded themselves in a studio. This also gave them the opportunity to provide people with a catalog of deep cuts to choose from.

“A lot of the songs, you can buy them, you can find them on the Internet, but it’s a very limited selection,” said Tyrrell. “We have a lot of one-of-a-kind punk tracks.”

Tyrrell and Johnson played all of the instruments in the studio and then gave the tracks to a producer who tweaked them for authenticity.

“He spends hours putting them side by side, trying to make sure the guitar sounds just shitty enough to get the perfect magic,” Tyrrell said.

Tyrrell and Johnson have been on the karaoke touring circuit since 2011, pairing up with a different nonprofit organization at each event. On Friday night, proceeds from the $8 entry fee went to D.C. Books To Prisons.

“We put it together as a fundraising series,” Tyrrell said. “Activists, community organizers and a small crew of us just got together and brainstormed this as a way to have fun at events where we can also raise money for a different organization every month.”

The overall atmosphere Friday was joyful but mild-mannered for a punk crowd. There was no moshing or crowd surfing. Most people hovered in front of the stage with a drink in hand, occasionally shouting along to the chorus of whatever song was being performed. It was a nostalgic experience for many.

“Back in the early ’90s, I was into punk rock, and it’s been a while, frankly, since I’ve gone out to a punk rock show,” said Washington resident Paul Anderson.

Tyrrell and Johnson encouraged audience members to join performers mid-song, leaving out two extra microphones just in case. While this did incite rambunctious activity, some people were not interested in sharing the spotlight at all.

“[If] I got in here early, I could have done ‘Waiting Room,’” said Washington resident Jonathan Druy, referring to the iconic Fugazi song. “But what happens with that is no one can hear you — everyone knows the words.”

Druy instead performed a rendition of the 7-minute Sonic Youth classic “Teen Age Riot,” his voice shifting between Kim Gordon’s ghostly talk-singing and Thurston Moore’s disgruntled vocal lines.

It wasn’t smooth; he was pitchy and screechy the whole way through. But it was distinctly, memorably punk rock — a fitting tribute to a genre that has finally become ubiquitous enough to be part of the karaoke canon.