Editor in chief

We’re starting to get into a groove here in the newsroom. As we plan out our content for each week, it’s impossible not to get excited. Our third week of coverage for the fall semester brought varied, fresh front pages and some content we’re all proud of.

But of course, this school week began with a tragedy: a shooting at Washington’s Navy Yard on Monday left 13 dead and at least 8 injured, causing Prince George’s County and University Police to increase security. On Wednesday, we wrote about how the shooting affected university students.

Amid the shock of the mass shooting, the university community continued on — from implementing consent policies to opening new restaurants. Here’s some of what we enjoyed the most:

Monday

The university officially defined consent in its sexual misconduct policy as “a knowing, voluntary and affirmatively communicated willingness to participate in a particular sexual activity or behavior,” bringing widespread praise. Sexual assault awareness and prevention continued to be a theme for our coverage throughout the week.

Tuesday

In an unplanned turn of events, we published a profile of the university’s veteran student life coordinator, Brian Bertges, on the day after the tragedy at the Navy Yard. “I’m very passionate about education, and I’m very passionate about veterans,” Bertges said. “You put them together, and you get my job.”

Inside Tuesday’s print edition, we published our annual Restaurant and Bar Guide tab with fun pieces about the city’s eateries, including a delivery contest to the newsroom.

Wednesday

We in the newsroom all salivated over our story about new pizza place Slices Pizza Co. on Route 1, which has some unique dishes such as a Nutella cinnamon roll (and which, according to cartoonist Joey Lockwood, doesn’t add much diversity to College Park restaurants).

In Diversions, senior staff writer Eric Bricker wrote about the lasting impact of “The Artist is Present,” a 2010 exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art: “Don’t go to the top floor. There are naked people.”

Thursday

Most newspaper folks love puns. We managed to hold out on making a pun off Terps football cornerback Will Likely’s name for most of the week, but on Thursday, we couldn’t resist. Assistant sports editor Aaron Kasinitz wrote a column about Likely’s maturity boding well for the team as he steps into an expanded role. The headline? “In the likeliest place.” Get it?

Our editorial board wrote a scathing (and somewhat hilarious) criticism of Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s tour of various states to hate on them, and we managed to work in another pun: “Don’t mess with Maryland”. Did you know that the phrase “Don’t mess with Texas” started as an effort to discourage littering? Well, it did. So now you know.

Friday

The great experiment continues. As every week passes that The Diamondback doesn’t publish a Friday print edition, we try new things for our weekly digital edition. We want your feedback, though. Please email me at michaelrkingjr@gmail.com or talk to us on Twitter @thedbk.

News

Our weekly news roundup has an update on Terrapin’s Turf (and it’s more than just the added apostrophe) and more, an alumnus makes Old Bay vodka, some students opt out of joining Facebook and College Park Metro users struggle with stolen bikes. Also, check out our archived issue of the Sept. 21, 1987 Diamondback and a video of news editor Jenny Hottle explaining The Diamondback’s anonymity policy. 

Opinion

SlutWalk protest marches frequently elicit strong reactions, for or against. Three columnists tackle differing opinions on the call for an end to rape culture: Opinion editor Maria Romas writes Clothes don’t dictate sexual desire, Erik Shell writes Processing sexual situations like a human being and Lauren Nurse writes Women: We can do better than SlutWalk.

Diversions

WMUC, the university’s student-run radio station right across the hall from The Diamondback’s newsroom, broadcasts on 88.1 FM and elsewhere throughout the day and into the night. In an all-new Creatavist format, senior staff writer Beena Raghavendran profiles the night owls who host the later shows.

Sports

Sports editor Daniel Gallen traveled to Baltimore on Thursday night to witness the unveiling of new Terps football uniforms. You know you want to see them. Click that link.

See you next week.