Last week, The Diamondback published an advertisement by FLAME (Facts and Logic About the Middle East), a non-profit organization with the stated goal of “research and publication of the facts regarding developments in the Middle East and exposing false propaganda that might harm the interests of the United States and its allies in that area of the world.”

The advertisement addresses the issue of “Muslim Arab anti-Semitism,” and includes claims such as, “Holocaust denial is a favorite topic in the Muslim world” and “Anti-Semitism is integral to Muslim culture.”

Like all advertisements, the message from FLAME sells something — but in this case, the product is a point of view. Specifically, FLAME argues that Muslim-Arab anti-Semitism makes Middle Eastern peace “very difficult — almost impossible.” If letters to the editor and guest column submissions are an accurate representation of The Diamondback’s readership, there are many people on this campus who do not buy the FLAME argument.

One reader wrote: “I just want to speak plainly and say that I was a bit shocked at the FLAME advertisement about anti-Semitism. I agree that anti-Semitism is one of the oldest forms of racism, but the entire advertisement basically lashed out at, criticized and demonized Muslim people — especially in the Arab world and Middle East.”

Another reader noted: “Like all powerful myths and stereotypes, there is always a very small grain of truth to them. There is absolutely no doubt that there are some individuals within Muslim majority countries who spout an anti-Jewish perspective. However, to engage in sweeping generalizations about an entire religion that belongs to the Abrahamic tradition and culture is no better than the very kind of hatred and stereotyping the authors of the FLAME paid advertisement were decrying in the first place.”

When it comes to advertising, those on the editorial staff — reporters, editors, designers — have no role in the decision-making process. The decision to run the FLAME advertisement was made by The Diamondback’s advertising department, an entirely separate staff of student employees and faculty members who have almost no interaction with the students who provide the rest of the paper’s content.

FLAME advertisements, which have appeared in this newspaper for more than two years, have also appeared in such publications as Newsweek and The New York Times. In this specific instance, the advertising department reviewed FLAME’s submission and determined it contained a subjective opinion — as does a page 5 advertisement for University Club Apartments, which claims the complex offers “The perfect fit for your college lifestyle.”

Taken at face value, many of the statements made by FLAME seem false. But upon careful inspection, the text is carefully worded in a manner that makes it difficult to refute. For example, writing that “Holocaust denial is a favorite topic in the Muslim world” may seem ridiculous, but if there is even one Holocaust denier in the Muslim world, the statement could be true. The statements, while potentially offensive, can’t be definitely called false advertising; they presented an argument that could be intellectually argued.

For the record, this editorial board does not buy the FLAME argument either. We believe the advertisement is intentionally inflammatory — an insincere attempt to bring “facts and logic” into the conversation about the Middle East and Muslim-Jewish relations. But we also believe it is FLAME’s right to publicize its subjective opinion, just as it would be a pro-Muslim organization’s right to publicize an alternate viewpoint.

Many readers have argued the FLAME advertisement shouldn’t appear in the newspaper on a campus that prides itself on diversity. Remember, however, a diversity of opinion guarantees disagreement. If a person or organization is not ready to engage in constructive conversation, the best response is to ignore them. Only then will they reconsider whether their point of view is valid.