Students line up in Stamp’s Atrium in order to check in and vote in today’s election.

Millions of voters in this state and across the country hit the polls Tuesday for the 2014 midterm elections. These are some moments collected from voters at the polls closest to the heart of this university: Stamp Student Union, Ritchie Coliseum and Paint Branch Elementary School.

Here’s what you had to say:

Jordan Hill, senior physics major, Stamp Student Union

“I’m voting because otherwise my dad would kick my ass. And it’s important, because you take a hit if you don’t vote.”

Noreen Mira, freshman physiology and neurobiology and psychology major, Stamp Student Union

“Being from Maryland, I’ve seen a lot of changes I’m not really happy with over the past few years, like with the legalization of certain substances, and that’s what propelled me to vote Republican instead of Democrat today. I usually lean that way anyway.”

Charisma Wooten, chief election judge, Ritchie Coliseum

“I’ve lived all over the world, and I really appreciate it here. It’s different in other countries — real different. So being of African descent and having parents that were African and Native American it has not always been easy to exercise your right to vote.”

Jake Tuthill, senior government and politics major, Stamp Student Union

“As a college student, I care about keeping education costs down. I see the potential Brown administration as continuing policies set by O’Malley and I think he did a good job during his terms.”

Kyle Siefering, public policy graduate student, Stamp Student Union

“I feel like if I don’t vote, I’m not necessarily letting my country down, but letting myself down, because I have a voice and I want to make it heard even if it’s a midterm election and not a whole lot of people are energized about it.”

Darryl Bonner, Green Party petitioner, Paint Branch Elementary School

“I think libertarian parties and third parties, like the Green Party, should be recognized, but you know how the old system is, they want you to pick between Coke and Pepsi … but sometimes, voters want a little bit of root beer.”

Melissa Walsh, senior biology major, Stamp Student Union

“It’s dumb to me when people say they don’t vote because they don’t have an opinion — you should make yourself have an opinion. You’re going to live in this country and policies will affect you. The information’s out there and it’s important to educate yourself.”

Justin Garcia, junior government and politics major, Stamp Student Union

“Right now I think the Republican Party is too polarized and too involved in keeping the government stagnant, not that the Democrats aren’t doing that.”

Kellen Moore, volunteer coordinator for Lupi Grady (Prince George’s County Board of Education candidate), Paint Branch Elementary School

“Not a particularly huge turnout, pretty slow. Every two minutes there seems to be someone to speak to [about the campaign].”

Mike Florio, sophomore mechanical engineering major, Stamp Student Union

“I wanted to vote for governor. [Hogan] is a businessman and can help develop businesses and create jobs, which our state needs right now.”

Lindsay Strehle, freshman finance and supply chain management major, Stamp Student Union

“I just want my voice to be heard.”

newsumdbk@gmail.com