Sophomore government and politics major

As a woman, it was initially awkward to be writing in opposition to a popular new wave of feminist protesting coined “SlutWalk,” which seeks to “challenge mindsets and stereotypes of victim-blaming and slut-shaming.” Seemingly, this would be something all women, including myself, could universally agree upon.

My problem does not lie with the stated mission of the SlutWalk, nor necessarily the protesters themselves. Looking past the bright posters, neon-colored bras and fishnet stockings, there is a problem at the movement’s foundation: the word “slut.”

Male-dominated society has used the word since the 15th century as a means to categorize and suppress women for practicing their sexuality in ways that fall outside of the patriarchy’s alleged values. The word “slut” is so deeply ingrained in defining the relationship between a man and his lesser playtoy that to put it at the forefront of the feminist movement only reaffirms the existing oppressive societal interpretations of female sexuality.

It is an underuse and misdirection of feminist resources to fight for the ability to define sexuality on our own terms by dressing in ways men already view as sexual. The SlutWalk movement does little in terms of creating genuinely fresh and freeing means of female sexual expression. As such, albeit unintentionally, the movement demonstrates acceptance with this misogynistic term.

Unfortunately, sexual assault against women is not a modern phenomenon. This tragic form of violence has occurred throughout history, whether women were wearing hoopskirts or miniskirts. By narrowing in on women’s clothing in the frame of a modern Western society, SlutWalk fails to create a solution for the broader issue of sexual assault. Women’s fashion has changed drastically over the years but sexual assault has, unfortunately, remained constant. Therefore, the source of this violence is — and thus our attention belongs — elsewhere.

Finally, it is important to consider whom SlutWalk really benefits from an international perspective. Women who have had to overcome discrimination beyond just gender “… do not have the privilege … to call ourselves ‘slut’ without validating the already historically entrenched ideology … about what and who the Black woman is,” as “An Open Letter from Black Women to the Slutwalk” heartbreakingly points out. The word “slut,” besides many other problems, also does not readily translate into many other languages. This primarily limits the movement and its potential beneficiaries to the English-speaking world. A movement that largely benefits only white, English-speaking women of the Western world can’t be the best solution to the issue of women’s rights.

Reclaiming the word “slut” is not something to be proud of and is nothing self-respecting women should want to own. Where is the liberation in ignoring the academic and cultural achievements of women to focus on clothing? It would be a grave mistake to champion ownership of a word rooted in violence, subjugation and oppression as a move forward.

Lauren Nurse is a sophomore government and politics major. She can be reached at lnursedbk@gmail.com.