Two weeks after University Police served a drug-related search warrant at Zeta Beta Tau’s fraternity house, university officials have revoked the group’s recognition and kicked it off the campus.

Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life Associate Director Matt Supple said ZBT’s dismissal resulted from the drug offense and a history of violations, including a 2007 hazing incident that landed the fraternity on probation for 10 months.

“The university has made the decision to remove recognition of the ZBT fraternity in collaboration with the national fraternity, who has suspended this chapter’s charter indefinitely,” Supple said. “The decision was based on a persistent failure of the chapter to comply with university policies and expectations.”

ZBT members will be asked to leave their house at 14 Fraternity Row at the end of the semester.

Police have not made any arrests or filed charges since searching ZBT’s house in the early morning hours of Nov. 18, but University Police spokesman Paul Dillon said the fraternity remains the focus of an ongoing investigation.

“Search warrants are just a tool for an investigator: They’re a beginning, not an end,” Dillon said. “It’s not like you serve a search warrant and file charges immediately.”

Dillon declined to answer questions about what drugs — if any — police seized during the search.

Supple stressed that the fraternity’s past transgressions factored heavily into the university’s decision, which was made official Wednesday afternoon.

In October 2008, a hazing ritual where ZBT senior members forced pledges to sit in a circle and chant the names of the fraternity’s founders injured a student when the leaders poured a mixture of water and Shout stain remover over the student’s head because he misspoke.

Supple said the fraternity also had a history of risk-management violations. While Supple declined to specify ZBT’s specific violations, he said risk-management infractions typically include hosting underage drinking and unauthorized parties.

“This was not a reaction to one single incident,” Supple said. “We took the past four semesters into consideration when we made the determination to remove recognition.”

Supple met with the fraternity last night to explain the university’s decision. He said the fraternity will have a chance to speak with Vice President for Student Affairs Linda Clement before the decision becomes final, but if ZBT is removed from the campus, it will be the second fraternity the university has booted in two years.

Officials expelled Delta Tau Delta in spring 2008 when they uncovered that the fraternity had been hazing students physically and psychologically over a three-year period.

In 1991, a previous chapter of ZBT had its charter revoked after pledges were forced to steal property during a scavenger hunt.

In a phone interview last night, ZBT President Miles Fisher denied that the police had visited his chapter’s house.

“They didn’t come Nov. 18,” he said. “There haven’t been any police here.”

ZBT’s national office did not return calls seeking comment.

Interfraternity Council President Brandon Bienstock said he wasn’t positive about the details of ZBT’s situation and that it was too early to say how the IFC would react to the fraternity’s dismissal.

“It’s a little early to actually comment on it,” Bienstock said, though he did add, “This is an issue with just one house at the moment.”

Supple said ZBT’s dismissal was an isolated incident, but reiterated OFSL’s policy to investigate fraternities and sororities when they breach university rules or their charters.

“I take every opportunity I can to reinforce the fact that we hold our fraternities and sororities to the highest standards and expectations based on the values they commit to,” he said. “We believe strongly in the fraternity and sorority experience, but when chapters fail to live up to their values, we take steps to ensure those failures are addressed.”

Supple added that ZBT will be able to begin a process to reapply for university recognition once all its current members have graduated. This time will come after spring 2013 at the earliest.

slivnick at umdbk dot com