UPDATED Tuesday Aug. 5, 1 p.m.:

The Viscardi family released the following statement: 

“We are devastated by the sudden loss of our beloved Tyler. He was the victim of a terrible mishap. Details are not clear yet, but we know this much. He was attending a music festival in Maryland with some friends. According to his close college friend who was with him, the afternoon was hot and he drank water that was given to him by others who were in the area. We believe that this contained a substance, unbeknownst to him, to which he had a toxic reaction. He was taken to a nearby hospital, but the reaction proved fatal. This tragic accident has taken Tyler from us. He will always be in our hearts.”

Original story:

A university student died Friday night of a suspected drug overdose during an all-day music festival in Columbia, according to Howard County police.

Police staff at the Mad Decent Block Party at Merriweather Post Pavilion were called over to assist junior Tyler Fox Viscardi, 20, of Raleigh, North Carolina, after Viscardi began exhibiting concerning behavior, said police spokesperson Sherry Llewellyn. Soon after, staff requested backup from the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services, she said.

Police are talking to witnesses and people in the area to determine whom Viscardi was with and to obtain further information about the circumstances, Llewellyn added.

Viscardi was transported to the Howard County General Hospital around 9 p.m., and died minutes after arriving at the hospital, according to a police statement.

Police are awaiting autopsy and toxicology reports from the medical examiner’s office to determine the exact cause of death, according to a department news release.

A 17-year-old male from Woodbridge, Virginia, was also taken to the hospital Friday night in critical condition; he died Sunday, also of an apparent drug-related issue, according to police.

Police do not believe the two men knew each other.

Eighteen others were also taken to the hospital for what appeared to be drug-related problems. All others have been treated and released, a police report said.

An updated news release stated that after investigation, police believe the most commonly used drug at the concert was MDMA, a synthetic drug known as ecstasy or “Molly,” that can cause increased heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature.

This is not the first time similar circumstances have transpired at events like the Mad Decent Block Party, a music festival traveling around the country. Howard County police urged concertgoers to be safe and to stay away from illegal activities at these shows.