Homemade gifts are both personal and inexpensive, and they show your friends and family members just how much extra effort you’re willing to put into making them a special gift. The problem, of course, is that most of the population is less than artistically inclined. But don’t fret! Here are 10 homemade gift ideas you don’t need to be a Picasso to create.

Recipe booklet

This is a perfect gift for any self-proclaimed chef of the house. All you need to do is get together a collection of your favorite recipes.

Mix CD

Mix CDs are not only easy to make, but they also require no artistic skill other than knowledge of music.

“I like making my friends CDs,” said Kerry Kramer, a senior communication major. “I like putting songs that we’ve listened to throughout the year together on the CDs. It’s a cheap, easy, but still meaningful gift.”

Personalized calendar

Thanks to the Internet, it’s exceptionally easy to make your own calendar. You just need 12 printouts for each month and 12 special photos to pair with them. You can personalize the calendar with pictures of you and your friends together and write in a few special occasions, such as the gift receiver’s birthday.

Scrapbook

While this gift does require a little bit more artistic ability, compiling memories of you and your friend or family member makes a fun, nostalgic gift to page through during the holidays.

Christmas cookie tin

Everyone knows homemade cookies are one of the highlights of the holiday season. Taking an assortment of them and putting them together in a holiday-themed tin creates a delicious, quaint homemade gift.

“My mom’s homemade pecan cookies are probably the best homemade Christmas gift I’ve ever gotten,” said Suzannah MacLeod, a junior agricultural science and technology and education major.

Photo wreath

This homemade gift makes for a great, personalized holiday decoration. Just gather pictures of you and your friend or family member and super glue them onto an empty wreath. You can also glue ribbons to the border of these photographs to add more flair.

Slideshow of memories

Very little artistic ability is needed to create a PowerPoint slideshow of pictures and memories and burn it onto a CD. Nonetheless, this slideshow can make for a meaningful and personal gift for your loved one.

A Song

Whether silly, heartfelt or both, writing and performing a song for your special friend or family member can be a unique and unexpected Christmas treat. You could even record the song onto a CD and throw in a printout of the lyrics.

Handmade Fleece Blanket

This gift is not difficult to make at all, and it’s perfect for snuggling in front of the fireplace on cold winter nights. You can find fleece at any fabric store, even at Walmart or Target. Simply cut the fleece to the desired blanket size and make 1- to 2-inch cuts around the edges. Then tie the pieces of fabric hanging off in individual knots.

Personalized Gift Basket

This idea really shows the gift recipients how well you know them. Take something your friend or family member loves and create a gift basket with that theme. For instance, if your mother is a dog lover, try creating a doggy gift basket with leashes, pet toys and dog treats.

newsumdbk@gmail.com