Students wait in line to enter voting polls in Stamp Student Union on election day in 2012.

CLARIFICATION: This article incorrectly stated what SGA President Samantha Zwerling was referring to in her first quote regarding the SGA’s efforts. She was referring to Question 6. The article has since been corrected to reflect this.

More than 2,200 students cast their ballots in Stamp Student Union’s Atrium yesterday, breaking 2008’s on-campus voter turnout record of 1,566 votes.

Members of the Student Government Association and the Terps Vote coalition, who campaigned on the campus for weeks leading up to Election Day, attributed the 48 percent increase in turnout to the efforts of student activists and the recently launched online voter registration system. Many of the 2,321 students who voted at Stamp yesterday — many of them casting a ballot for the first time — said the state referendum questions were a major draw to the polls.

“I’m very, very proud that the SGA was at the forefront of this on campus,” SGA President Samantha Zwerling said in reaction to the passing of Question 6. “We were on the right side of history for this, and we stood up for the rights of our students, staff and campus community.”

For many students, the long lines that were a hallmark of state early voting polls were just as daunting yesterday.

“Honestly, I saw this line and I didn’t want to do this,” sophomore computer science major Sundi Myint said in Stamp yesterday. “But I know it’s important, so I stayed.”

However, the lines moved fast, students said. And Elizabeth Virga, a Terps Vote intern, said the high turnout shows that by working together, a coalition of student groups can better inform student voters.

“[Encouraging] them to get to the polls really makes an impact on the turnout we can have in an election,” Virga said.

Four years ago, members tried to increase registration by sponsoring a debate watch and an election party, and succeeded in registering about 2,500 students on the campus.

“They were really excited about their numbers in 2008, because it was such an exciting election for students,” Virga said.

But this year, members said they surpassed their goals, registering about 4,000 students this semester. The online voter registration system made registering easier and more convenient, Virga said, and had a positive impact on turnout.

“I’m really proud of Maryland students coming out,” James Jalandoni, the SGA governmental affairs director. “Our efforts mean nothing if students don’t care, and I think that students definitely do care.”

Students lining up outside the Atrium yesterday said it was worth taking time out of their day to vote.

“It’s an hour of my time to show who I want to be our leader,” said freshman psychology major Michaela Gallagher. “It’s important, and it’s our duty.”

Freshman journalism major Jamie Weissman, who voted for the first time yesterday, said discussion of the campaigns and debates over the past weeks has made students more enthusiastic to head to the polls.

“The line is pretty long, but it’s worth waiting, because this only happens once every four years,” she said. “There’s only so many opportunities to have your voice heard — you should take every chance you can get.”

Several students, such as freshman communication major Jazmin Henriquez, said the main reason they voted yesterday was to influence the various ballot questions, such as the referendums on same-sex marriage and the DREAM Act, both of which passed last night.

“It’s nice to see so many students out,” Henriquez said. “One of the main reasons I’m here is to support the LGBT community. They should have the same rights that heterosexual couples have.”

Jalandoni and Virga said there were no major problems with voting on the campus.

“There were some bumps — mostly just some confusion amongst some students,” Jalandoni said. “I think that was anticipated. You’re not going to have complete understanding from every student, considering this is most people’s first time voting.”