Today’s Guest Column

Welcome to Sex Week! In honor of National Health Education Week, which begins Oct. 21, the University Health Center has worked together with numerous campus and student groups to present this exciting week of programs, resources, perspectives and forums for conversation with a healthy dose of fun. And it’s vital that all students do their best to take part in such an amazing sequence of events.

We’re kicking off Sex Week tomorrow with our Sex Week Health Fair on Hornbake Plaza. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., campus and student groups will offer resources, activities, games, a Sexual Wellness photo booth, Sex Week temporary tattoos and the chance to snag a Sex Week tank top or T-shirt. After the fair, we have a full schedule of events that explore the many facets of sexuality and sexual health and wellness. All are important for establishing sexual health and making sure students utilize the numerous resources this university has available.

Opportunities to chat with a sex therapist, explore birth control methods, learn more about sex toys, improve communication in the bedroom and bring health to your mind, body and spirit through meditation are at your fingertips. Delve into conversations about sexuality, spirituality, consent and love. Sex Week is an inclusive, educational and just plain fun set of events, and we hope everyone can get something out of it — so be sure to check out our schedule!

The idea for Sex Week at this university was inspired by sex weeks on campuses around the country. My good friend and colleague Sree Sinha and I both dreamed of bringing this kind of program here, and joining forces with the Residence Hall Association, we brought the idea to the health center’s Sexual Health and Reproductive Education office. After lots of hard work and planning, we aim to provide diverse opportunities for students to learn, connect and explore the dynamic world of sexuality and sexual health and wellness. We are joined by the Student Government Association, Stamp Student Union’s Office of Multicultural Involvement and Community Advocacy, CARE to Stop Violence and numerous other student groups.

To view our schedule and learn more about Sex Week, please visit our website at health.umd.edu/sexweek, or visit us on Facebook at facebook.com/umdsexweek. We’re looking forward to seeing you — Happy Sex Week!

Margaret Doyle is the public relations and outreach officer for the Residence Hall Association. She can be reached at mbdoyle93@gmail.com. To learn more about Sex Week, visit health.umd.edu/sexweek or facebook.com/umdsexweek.