(a)Daniel Murray, arrested, charged in Michael Scrocca’s death yesterday. (b)Michael Scrocca, killed in Princeton Ave. house fire April 30th, 2005

Prince George’s County police charged junior Daniel Carlisle Murray, 20, yesterday with first degree murder and arson in the Princeton Avenue fire that killed senior Michael Scrocca last year.

Murray confessed to police he was involved with setting the April 30 early morning fire, said a source familiar with the investigation. Police arrested him on his way to class in front of H.J. Patterson Hall yesterday at 9:30 a.m.

The source, who asked not to be identified because the investigation is ongoing, said police received an anonymous tip early last week that pointed to Murray as the person who set the blaze. The tipster provided details about the fire that only someone who was involved would know.

Following the tip, detectives interviewed about a half-dozen students who confirmed information received from the anonymous caller, the source said. Detectives obtained an arrest warrant from a grand jury on Tuesday and contacted university officials that night to obtain Murray’s class schedule.

University Police assisted in the on-campus arrest.

Sunday marked the one-year anniversary of Scrocca’s death, which had been investigated as a homicide since fire investigators ruled the case an arson in May. The case had baffled homicide detectives, who interviewed more than 100 witnesses in the aftermath of the crime and had no strong leads until last week.

Based on interviews, the source believes Murray got into an argument with someone at Scrocca’s house during a party the night of the fire and later returned to set the blaze.

The fire was started on the front porch, where police say someone poured gasoline from a red plastic cup. The blaze quickly engulfed the house, and Scrocca’s roommate escaped by jumping from a third-story window, breaking his leg and sustaining third-degree burns. Scrocca, who died of smoke inhalation, was the only person left in the house.

Scrocca’s family spent the past year pleading for anyone to come forward with information, offering a $50,000 reward. His death was particularly heartbreaking for his friends and family because the 22-year-old finance major died just three weeks before graduation.

Scrocca’s father Tony expressed relief there had finally been an arrest. “It took someone, a strong person, who said someone has to do the right thing, and this person came forward to the police,” he said.

Murray’s arrest came as a complete surprise to his friends and family, who said they had no idea he was being investigated, and expressed disbelief he could have been involved. At one of his friend’s home last night, two women, who declined to give their last names, watched in shock as the first television report of Murray’s arrest was broadcast.

“It’s like a TV movie, where everyone knows the person convicted didn’t do it,” said Rebecca D., one of his friends who wished not to give her last name for fear she would be targeted by people angry about Scrocca’s death. “He’s one of the sweetest, nicest people I know. He’s not violent at all.”

Of the rest of his friends, said Rebecca, a mathematics major, “None of them can comprehend it was him at all … Everyone is shocked and surprised.”

Rebecca described Murray as a “smart kid” who wanted to “go to med school and help people.”

She said he was ahead in his credits and expected to graduate early. He also held a job at R.J. Bentley’s.

“If he’s not working, he’s studying or hanging out with his girlfriend,” said his roommate, senior structural engineering major Billy Billet. “Of all the people that could’ve done this, I never would’ve picked him.”

“I can’t think of any situation where someone would want to burn somebody’s house down,” said junior biology and physiology major Erin I., a friend of Murray’s who also declined to give her last name for fear of being targeted. “Not Danny, of all people.”

WHAT OFFICIALS ARE SAYING

Sources in the investigation say Daniel Murray admitted he was involved in the fatal arson. An anonymous tipster called police last week and gave them Murray’s name along with details of that night. They believe Murray got into an argument with people at the house and may have later returned to the scene to start the blaze.

WHAT THE FAMILY IS SAYING

The Scrocca family wants students to come forward about any additional details about Murray. While they are relieved police charged the person they believe is responsible, they are disappointed more people didn’t come forward earlier.

INFORMATION

If you have information relating to the investigation or the night in question, Prince George’s County Police are asking that you call 301-772-4925. Tips can be made anonymously.

TIMELINE | SCROCCA FIRE

APRIL 30, 2005

A house in the 7500 block of Princeton Avenue erupts in fire at 4a.m. Senior Michael Scrocca is killed in the blaze. Resident Stephen “Tex” Aarons is treated for burn injuries and a broken leg after jumping from a window to escape.

MAY 2, 2005

Students hold a candlelight vigil in the Memorial Chapel to honor Scrocca.

MAY 4, 2005

Friends and family attend Scrocca’s funeral in Branchburg, N.J.

May 6, 2005

Firefighters determine the fire ‘s cause is arson. The classification comes after investigators find a gas can near where the fire was ignited. County police take over the investigation.The Scrocca family comes to Maryland for a memorial service for Scrocca held by the university.

June 16, 2005

Investigators conclude the arsonist spilled gasoline from a neighbor’s gas can out of a red plastic cup. They determine the gasoline was spread around the house. The gas can was found on the porch, where the fire began.

August 2005

Mary and Tony Scrocca hire private investigator Steve Kerpelman to find the person responsible for the fire.

October 20, 2005

The Scroccas travel to College Park to pass out 10,000 fliers at the football game against Virginia Tech. They offer a reward of up to $50,000 for anyone with information regarding the fire or investigation.

February 7, 2006

Scrocca’s family and friends distribute 3,000 fliers outside the Comcast Center during a basketball game against Virginia. A crew from America’s Most Wanted films the event for a future episode of the show.

April 30, 2006

Family and friends come together to commemorate the one-year anniversary of Scrocca’s death. Sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta raises $750 for charities Scrocca would have donated to. Kerpelman urges students with information to come forward.

May 3, 2006

University sophomore Daniel Carlisle Murray, 20, is arrested at 9:30 am based on an anonymous tip received by county police a week earlier. Murray is charged with first degree murder and first degree arson in Scrocca’s death.

Timeline compiled by Hadass Kogan-The Diamondback

Contact reporters Laurie Au at lauriedbk@gmail.com and Kevin Litten at littendbk@gmail.com.