“It’s important, we communicate/ And tune the fate of this union, to the right pitch/ I never call you my bitch or even my boo/ There’s so much in a name and so much more in you” — from “The Light” by Common

Note: Check out our Spotify playlist of the 14 best hip-hop love songs, “Valentine’s Day 2014.”

Hip-hop has a love-hate relationship with, well, love. Usually, romantic songs come in the package of a crooning ballad that ends with a tear-inducing high note. Hip-hop, in contrast, is notorious for misogyny and crude lyrics that basically denounce the concept of love altogether. “I don’t love ’em, I don’t chase ’em, I duck ’em,” Wiz Khalifa had everyone chanting from his song “Mezmorized.” Rappers are pressured to avoid emotions and acquire women in abundance. Artists such as Drake and Wale are often ridiculed for being “soft,” as any display of feelings is grounds for criticism and dismissal.

When love isn’t being shunned for the acquisition of money — “F— bitches, get money” — it’s met with skepticism, as in Kanye’s cautionary “Gold Digger” or the chorus of Chris Brown’s single, “Loyal” (“These hoes ain’t loyal”).

But when love and hip-hop aren’t gallivanting around as an insufferable reality show or masquerading as a sex anthem, they make a great combination. Rap is essentially poetry, and there’s nothing more romantic than a love poem. Some of rap’s best lyricists and popular icons have produced some of the most heartfelt and genuine love songs out there.

Though they occasionally need help from R&B artists — the resident love song experts — hip-hop love songs are a unique subset and refreshing alternative to the usual romantic playlist.

And to celebrate the day of love, here are the top 14 hip-hop love songs.

14. “’03 Bonnie and Clyde” — Jay Z and Beyonce (2003)

“All I need in this life of sin, is me and my girlfriend/ Down to ride ’til the very end, it’s me and my boyfriend”

13. “Suga Suga” — Baby Bash ft. Frankie J (2003)

“Gurl you keep it so fly with you sweet hunnybuns/ You was there when the money was gone/ You’ll be there when the money comes”

12. “Bonita Applebum” — A Tribe Called Quest (1990)

“If only you could see through your elaborate eyes/ Only you and me, hun, the love never dies”

11. “Make Me Better” — Fabolous ft. Ne-Yo (2007)

“I’m a movement by myself/ But I’m a force when we’re together/ Mami, I’m good all by myself/ But baby, you, you make me better”

10. “Gettin Up” — Q-Tip (2008)

“We like Ruby D and Ozzie, like Martin and Corretta/ Doin’ it to death, no one can do it better/ When we leave our physical our spirits still together”

9. “Nothin’ on You” — B.o.B. (2010)

“Baby you the whole package, plus you pay your taxes/ And you keep it real while them others stay plastic/ You’re my Wonder Woman call me Mr. Fantastic.”

8. “You Got Me” — The Roots ft. Erykah Badu and Eve (1999)

“If you were worried ’bout where/ I been or who I saw or/ what club I went to with my homies/ baby don’t worry you know that you got me”

7. “21 Questions” — 50 Cent ft. Nate Dogg (2003)

“We only humans, girl, we make mistakes/ To make it up, I’ll do whatever it takes/ I love you like a fat kid love cake/ You know my style I say anything to make you smile”

6. “Poetic Justice” — Kendrick Lamar ft. Drake (2012)

“Love is not just a verb, it’s you looking in the mirror/ Love is not just a verb, it’s you looking poor, maybe/ Call me crazy, we can both be insane/ A fatal attraction is common/ And what we have common is pain”

5. “I Need a Girl (Part Two)” — Diddy ft. Loon, Ginuwine and Mario Winans (2002)

“The sun don’t shine forever/ But as long as it’s here then we might as well shine together/ Never mind the weather, go somewhere and get our minds together/ Build a love that a last forever”

4. “Come Close” — Common ft. Mary J. Blige (2002)

“It’s destiny that we connected girl/ You and I, we can affect the world/ I’m tired of the fast lane/ I want you to have my last name”

3. “I’ll Be There for You/ You’re All I Need” — Method Man ft. Mary J. Blige (1995)

“We on another level of planning, of understanding/ the bond between man and woman, and child/ The highest elevation, ’cause we above/ All that romance crap, just show your love”

2. “I Need Love” — LL Cool J (1987)

“When I’m alone in my room sometimes I stare at the wall/ And in the back of my mind I hear my conscience call/ Telling me I need a girl who’s as sweet as a dove/ For the first time in my life, I see I need love”

1. “The Light” — Common (2000)

“It’s important, we communicate/ And tune the fate of this union, to the right pitch/ I never call you my bitch or even my boo/ There’s so much in a name and so much more in you”

Return to our main Valentine’s Day page here.