Medal of Honor winner Florent Groberg and university President Wallace Loh shake hands during Wisconsin’s 31-24 win over Maryland at Byrd Stadium on Nov. 7.

When Wael Khudr graduates this semester, the former Navy intelligence collector will be able to relate to the man speaking onstage, he said.

University President Wallace Loh announced yesterday — Veterans Day — that Army Capt. Florent Groberg will be the winter commencement speaker. Groberg, a 2006 alumnus, will be awarded the Medal of Honor today for his service in Afghanistan.

“The mere fact that he’s a veteran makes it more relatable,” said Khudr, a government and politics major. “He’ll be able to share his experience and spread information on what veterans go through.”

Loh said Groberg “exemplifies the kinds of qualities we like to see in our alumni.”

“He is an incredibly modest, humble person,” Loh said. “He has a certain presence — I mean he really does.”

Senior Brenda Shah, who serves as the commencement speaker delegate, said the selection committee also considered trustees from the University of Maryland College Park Foundation and business executives, but everyone “knew immediately [Groberg] was the right choice.”

“We were blown away by Florent,” the physiology and neurobiology and major. “The fact that he’s getting a Medal of Honor just goes to show he’s not only recognized at our school but nationally for his accomplishments and achievements.”

Senior Sarah Niezelski, the Student Government Association representative on the committee, said Groberg represents “fearless leadership.”

“We’re very proud to have an alumnus who has sacrificed the way he has,” the economics and mechanical engineering major said. “We’re honored to be able to involve him in this way. … He represents the best of what our alumni have to offer. ”

Groberg was born in France and became a U.S. citizen when he was 18. While at this university, he competed in varsity track and cross country. Two years after graduating with a degree in criminology and criminal justice, he joined the Army.

READ MORE: President Obama to give University of Maryland alumnus Medal of Honor

In 2012, Groberg was providing a security detail for senior Army leaders in Afghanistan’s Kunar Province when a suicide bomber approached the group. Groberg rushed the man and pushed him to the ground, away from the patrol, but the attacker detonated his explosives. A second suicide bomber set off his own explosives within moments. Four soldiers were killed and Groberg was severely injured in the attack.

Since then, Groberg has undergone more than 30 surgeries at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

When President Obama presents him with the Medal of Honor during a ceremony at the White House, Groberg will become the 10th living recipient of the award for actions in Afghanistan. He will be the second university alumnus to earn the military’s highest honor.

“He is such an incredible person to have done what he did — to selflessly sacrifice his body for the love of the people around him,” senior kinesiology major Ryan Scott said. “He is someone who is qualified to come talk and inspire the masses.”

Scott is currently serving in Maryland’s Army National Guard before going on active duty after he graduates in May.

“They need to invite him back for that ceremony,” Scott said.