Every week, staff writer Phillip Suitts will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Thursday, it’s former women’s basketball players.

Kristi Toliver, Guard, Los Angeles Sparks

2013 stats: 29.9 mpg, 15.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 3.5 apg, .480 FG%, .800 FT%

Skinny: Toliver is one of the top players in the WNBA, at least according to the Tulsa Shock coach. The former Terp scored 25 points in a 94-78 victory over his squad July 11, including scoring 12 of the Sparks’ first 18 points. Toliver scored a team-high 15 points Wednesday, including two free throws with 1.3 seconds remaining that clinched the 77-73 victory over the Atlanta Dream. In an 88-76 victory over the Phoenix Mercury on Sunday, Toliver scored just nine points, but had a team-high six assists and no turnovers. While Toliver stats are down from last year, she appears happier on the court, partly due to the acquisition of point guard Lindsey Harding this February. The Sparks now have a pure point guard, allowing Toliver to concentrate on excelling as a combo guard. Thursday, Toliver and the Sparks host the Phoenix Mercury for a 10 p.m. showdown that will be shown on ESPN2.

Crystal Langhorne, Forward/Center, Washington Mystics

2013 stats: 29.5 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.3 apg, .585 FG%, .649 FT%

Skinny: In two straight victories over the San Antonio Silver Stars, Langhorne led the Mystics both times in scoring. Friday, Langhorne scored 14 points in an 83-73 victory in San Antonio. She shot 6-of-8 from the field and grabbed seven rebounds as the Mystics recovered from blowing a 14-point lead. The former Terp scored 13 points, tied for a team-high, Tuesday on the Mystics’ home court. She also led the team with nine rebounds, nearly recording her second double-double of the season. She also had a steal, four assists and only one turnover. The former national champion has had double-digit points in 12 of the Mystics 15 games.

Tianna Hawkins, Forward, Seattle Storm

2013 stats: 9.0 mpg, 3.2 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.2 apg, .545 FG%, 1.000 FT%

Skinny: After her coach told the media that Hawkins needed to earn her playing time in practice, the former Terp responded. Benched during the 73-65 victory over the Atlanta Dream on Sunday, Hawkins impressed enough in practice to earn 14 minutes on the court Wednesday in an 86-59 loss to the Tulsa Shock. The sixth overall pick in this year’s WNBA draft scored seven points and grabbed one rebound before fouling out.

Lynetta Kizer, Forward, Phoenix Mercury

2013 stats: 7.6 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.1 apg, .476 FG%, .500 FT% 

Skinny: Kizer missed the loss to the Sparks on Sunday due to an injury. The former Terp has now missed two straight games. Her injury couldn’t have come at a worse time for the Mercury, whose rookie center Brittney Griner has missed the last two games because of an injury as well. The Mercury lost both games and is currently on a three-game losing streak. The Mercury now sits third in the Western Conference with a record of 8-7. 

Marissa Coleman, Guard/Forward, Los Angeles Sparks

2013 stats: 19.5 mpg, 5.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.1 apg, .443 FG%, .611 FT%

Skinny: Coleman stuffed the box score July 11 with six points, four rebounds and two assists in the blowout victory over the Tulsa Shock. Coleman made both her shots from the field, including a three-pointer and was 1-of-2 from the charity stripe. In Sunday’s victory over the Mercury Coleman scored just two points in 16 minutes on the court and had only two rebounds. The former Terp then saw her playing time decrease to less than half her season average, playing just eight minutes in Wednesday’s victory over the Dream. She did score four points and grab one rebound.

sportsdbk@gmail.com