Every week, staff writer Phillip Suitts will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Tuesday, it’s former baseball players.

Brett Cecil, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays

2013 stats: 5-1, 2.73 ERA, 1 save, 41 hits, 69 strikeouts, 23 walks in 59.1 IP

Skinny: Cecil isn’t being shut down, but with the Blue Jays in last place in the American League East manager John Gibbons told the media this week there wouldn’t be any more multiple innings outings for the former started-turned- reliever. Then on Monday, Gibbons said Cecil would get a couple of days off due to shoulder soreness. This past week, Gibbons stayed true to his word. Cecil pitched just an inning and a third in two appearances. The Dunkirk native allowed one base runner and struck out two combined in those two outings.

Justin Maxwell, OF, Kansas City Royals

2013 stats: .271 average, .341 on-base percentage, 6 HR, 19 RBI, 31 runs, 5 stolen bases, 57 strikeouts, 18 walks

Skinny: Maxwell returned to the Royals last Tuesday after being placed on bereavement list, so he could attend his grandmother’s funeral. He batted 1-for-4 with a double in a 2-0 loss to the Chicago White Sox later that night. Maxwell hit his sixth home run of the season Friday during a three-RBI performance against the Washington Nationals, the team that drafted him in the fifth round in 2005. The Royals lost the game, 11-10.

Adam Kolarek, LHP, Binghamton Mets (New York Mets Double-A affiliate)

2013 stats: 3-3, 2.40 ERA, 1 save, 50 hits, 60 strikeouts, 22 walks in 63.2 IP

Skinny: Kolarek pitched a scoreless eighth inning Thursday in a 7-3 loss. Kolarek did allow a double, walked a batter and threw a wild pitch but worked around those two base runners with two straight strikeouts to end the inning. Kolarek, who is in his fourth year in the minor leagues, has pitched 224.1 innings in the minors and averages 9.71 strikeouts per nine innings. The 24-year-old lefty, who was primarily a reliever with the Terps, has held right-handed batters to a .193 average this season and lefties to a .232 average.

Alfredo Rodriguez, 2B, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (Milwaukee Brewers Class-A affiliate)

2013 stats: .268 average, .366 on-base percentage, 2 HR, 32 RBI, 48 runs, 10 stolen bases, 49 strikeouts, 49 walks

Skinny: The Timber Rattlers might have lost but Rodriguez was named Rattler of the Game Saturday in a 5-3 loss. The 23-year-old went 2-for-5 at the plate with a double and two RBIs. Rodriguez started six of a possible seven games this past week and got at least one hit in each contest. He is now on an eight-game hitting streak.

Sander Beck, RHP, Delmarva Shorebirds (Baltimore Orioles Class-A affiliate)

2013 stats: 1-1, 1.93 ERA, 3 saves, 11 hits, 22 strikeouts, 6 walks in 18.2 IP

Skinny: Beck allowed two runs, both earned, on three hits, including a solo homer, and a walk in an inning and third of work last Tuesday in an 11-10 loss. Beck pitched two scoreless innings Friday in a 4-1 loss. The former 33rd round pick has given up six runs, though only four were earned runs, in his last 12 innings.

Jimmy Reed, LHP, State College Spikes, (St. Louis Cardinals Class-A short-season affiliate)

2013 stats: 3-2, 2.06 ERA, 2 saves, 11 G, 8 GS, 44 hits, 37 strikeouts, 11 walks in 48 IP

Skinny: Reed pitched six scoreless innings Saturday in his sixth consecutive start. The Gaithersburg native gave up two hits, one walk and struck out five in a 7-0 victory, though he didn’t end up as the winner picther. This start came six days after his last start, in which Reed had also pitched six scoreless innings. Reed has pitched 37 innings as a starter this season and 11 in relief.

Charlie Haslup, RHP, Staten Island Yankees (New York Yankees’ Class-A short-season affiliate)

2013 stats: 2-0, 2.08 ERA, 1 save, 25 hits, 22 strikeouts, 11 walks in 26 IP

Skinny: After his longest outing of the season August 18, Haslup had another extended relief appearance Sunday. He pitched the last four innings of a 7-3 loss allowing three runs, two earned, off seven hits. Prior to Sunday, Haslup had pitched four and a third innings in his last appearance on August 18.

Michael Boyden, RHP, Gulf Coast Nationals

2013 stats: 0-0, 4.61 ERA, 1 save, 17 hits, 15 strikeouts, 14 walks in 13.2 IP

Skinny: Boyden worked around two hits and two walks and, with a little help from his defense, pitched a scoreless eighth inning in a 4-3 loss Friday. Boyden has allowed base runners in his last three outings and in eight of his past 10 appearances.

Jack Cleary, C, Arizona League Brewers

2013 stats: .235 average, .284 on-base percentage, 0 HR, 7 RBI, 8 runs, 0 stolen bases, 12 strikeouts, 4 walks

Skinny: Cleary had a multi-hit game Friday, his first since August 6. Cleary, who hit a double in that game, also drove in two runs in the 12-2 win. Cleary had at least a hit in two of the three games he batted in this past week—he came on in one game as a defensive replacement and never got an at-bat. Prior to this week, he had gone hitless in his last four games.