Every week, The Diamondback sports staff will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Monday, it’s former football players.

This weekend, a few notable former Terrapins football players were in action in the NFL’s preseason games on Saturday and Sunday.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Indianapolis Colts

The big and speedy wideout was Indianpolis’ leading receiver in the Colts’ 20-12 win over the New York Giants, catching four passes for 42 yards. Heyward-Bey is vying for the No. 2 wide receiver spot in quarterback Andrew Luck’s offense with T.Y. Hilton, who caught two passes for 36 yards in a touchdown. The Silver Spring native and McDonogh product joined the Colts after spending his first four seasons with Oakland, which selected him seventh overall in the 2009 draft. Former Terps running backs Davin Meggett (Indianapolis) and Da’Rel Scott (New York Giants) didn’t record stats in the matchup.

Lance Ball, RB, Denver Broncos

While Heyward-Bey is competing for playing time in a rising star’s offense, Ball is hoping for time with the man Luck replaced in Denver. But Ball didn’t have much luck — pun unintended — in the Broncos’ 40-10 blowout loss at Seattle. He rushed seven times for just two yards. His long rush went for five yards. Ball rushed for 158 yards in 15 games last season.

A.J. Francis, DT, Miami Dolphins

The outspoken Francis had two tackles (one for a loss), a pass defense and a quarterback knockdown in the Dolphins’ 24-17 loss to Houston. Francis has reportedly had a good camp, and the blogosphere thinks he’ll earn a roster spot. Also in Miami, Will Yeatman is continuing to work on his transition from tight end to offensive line.

We’ll have more updates as camp draws to a close and cuts are made in the next few weeks. Once the season starts, we’ll be bringing you complete stat wraps on a weekly basis.