Every week, staff writer Phillip Suitts will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Tuesday, it’s former baseball players.

Brett Cecil, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays

2013 stats: 3-0, 1.94 ERA, 28 hits, 55 strikeouts, 17 walks in 46.1 IP

Skinny: Cecil, who was selected to his first All-Star game last week, will be available to pitch Tuesday night during the Mid-Summer Classic. Cecil and the Blue Jays start the second half of the season with a home game Friday night against the division rival Tampa Bay Rays. Cecil surrendered an earned run in a 5-4 win Wednesday over the Cleveland Indians, marking the first time all season the former Terp had given up runs in consecutive outings. The former first round pick rebounded Saturday pitching a scoreless inning in a 7-3 victory over the Baltimore Orioles.

Justin Maxwell, OF, Houston Astros

2013 stats: .231 average, .298 on-base percentage, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 13 runs, 2 stolen bases, 29 strikeouts, 9 walks

Skinny: Maxwell returned to the Astros’ roster Friday night when Houston activated him from the 7-day disabled list, ending his second minor league rehab stint of the season. He played in both games he was available for this weekend, going 1-for-6 with two strikeouts and a double in a pair of losses to the Tampa Bay Rays. At the All-Star break, the Astros (33-61) have the worst record in the majors.

Adam Kolarek, LHP, Binghamton Mets

2013 stats: 2-1, 2.78 ERA, 35 hits, 41 strikeouts, 18 walks in 45.1 IP

Skinny: Since the Eastern League’s All-Star break, Kolarek has appeared in two games and pitched three scoreless innings. Kolarek allowed a double and a walk in the ninth inning Sunday, but got out of the trouble to preserve the shutout in a 4-0 victory. Two days earlier he pitched two innings in an extra-innings loss. The former Terp struck out three batters and did not allow a hit or walk.

Sander Beck, RHP, Delmarva Shorebirds

2013 stats: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 save, 1 hit, 7 strikeouts, 2 walks in 5.1 IP

Skinny: It had been almost a month since Beck had last pitched when he took the mound in the ninth inning of a 0-0 tie Friday. Beck pitched a scoreless ninth and tenth, retiring all six batters he faced and striking out three. The Shorebirds, the Low-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, lost 2-1 in the 14th inning. Beck, who hadn’t pitched since June 14, was on the 7-day disabled list but was activated this week.

Alfredo Rodriguez, 2B, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

2013 stats: .251 average, .353 on-base percentage, 2 HR, 20 RBI, 33 runs, 8 stolen bases, 33 strikeouts, 32 walks

Skinny: In his first game in three days, Rodriguez hit a solo homer, his second of the season, in a 6-3 victory Thursday. The next day, the former Terp went 3-for-6 with two doubles and two RBIs and executed a perfect bunt on a suicide squeeze. Rodriguez combined to go 0-for-7 with a walk on Sunday and Monday.

Jimmy Reed, LHP, State College Spikes

2013 stats: 1-1, 1.38 ERA, 4 G, 2 GS, 1 save, 14 hits, 12 strikeouts, 1 walk in 13 IP

Skinny: After throwing nine scoreless innings combined in his first three outings of the season, Reed picked up his first loss Wednesday at Aberdeen, his first time pitching professionally in Maryland. The former Terp pitched four innings, allowed two runs on five hits and struck out three in a 2-1 loss.

Charlie Haslup, RHP, Staten Island Yankees

2013 stats: 0-0, 2.70 ERA, 1 save, 9 hits, 8 strikeouts, 4 walks in 6.2 IP

Skinny: Haslup’s fielding error Monday allowed three runners to score in the sixth inning of a 7-4 win. Haslup allowed two hits and walked a batter, loading the bases before his error, along with a throwing error by his second baseman, brought all three runners home. Haslup did strike out two in his inning of work. The three runs were also unearned.

Jack Cleary, C, Arizona League Brewers

2013 stats: .240 average, .321 on-base percentage, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 4 runs, 0 stolen bases, 5 strikeouts, 3 walks

Skinny: Cleary went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI Thursday. Cleary singled in the bottom of the third driving in the only run in a 3-1 loss. He also doubled in the fifth.

Michael Boyden, RHP, Gulf Coast Nationals

2013 stats: 0-0, 5.40 ERA, 1 save, 6 hits, 7 strikeouts, 5 walks in 5 IP

Skinny: Boyden worked around a leadoff triple Friday to pitch a scoreless ninth in a 7-0 victory. He also walked a batter and registered a strikeout. He induced a game-ending double play as well.

sportsdbk@gmail.com