Every week, staff writer Phillip Suitts will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Wednesday, it’s former soccer players.

Graham Zusi, Midfielder, Sporting Kansas City

2013 stats: 18 GP, 18 GS, 1592 minutes, 4 goals, 5 assists, 36 shots, 1 yellow card, 0 red cards

Skinny: Graham Zusi — a finalist for league MVP last season, the 2011 MLS Breakout Player of the Year, and an MLS All-Star — is in line for another award. Zusi has been nominated for Best MLS Player by the ESPYs. THis competition is two forwards: New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry and San Jose Earthquakes’ Chris Wondolowski. Saturday, Zusi played an important role in a 3-0 victory over Toronto FC. The Toronto goalkeeper deflected Zusi’s shot in the 51st minute into the path of Sporting forward Soony Saad who kicked the ball into the goal for the second tally of the game.

Clarence Goodson, Defender, San Jose Earthquakes

2013 stats: 0 GP, 0 GS, 0 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 shots 0 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: Goodson still has yet to suit up for San Jose because he’s playing for the U.S. team at the Gold Cup, a biyearly regional competition. Goodson did not play in the U.S. second game of the competition, a 4-1 win over Cuba on Saturday. The former Terp did start and play the full 90 minutes against Costa Rica on Tuesday helping preserve the shutout in a 1-0 victory.

Omar Gonzalez, Defender, Los Angeles Galaxy

2013 stats: 16 GP, 16 GS, 1440 minutes, 0 goals, 1 assist, 10 shots, 2 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: The right goalpost denied Gonzalez his first goal of the 2013 MLS season. In the 35th minute of a 2-1 loss to the Portland Timbers on Saturday, Gonzalez out-jumped the Portland defenders, but his bouncing header hit off the woodwork. Gonzalez, as well as Zusi, haven’t played in the U.S.’s first three Gold Cup matches but could be called up for the regional competition’s knockout stage matches. The decision will have to be made by Wedensday night by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

Zac MacMath, Goalkeeper, Philadelphia Union

2013 stats: 20 GP, 20 GS, 1800 minutes, 5 shutouts, 57 saves, 30 goals against

Skinny: MacMath had a relatively easy game Friday in a 3-1 win over Chivas USA. Chivas took the early lead when MacMath came out of his goal to try to take the ball from an attacker. The attacker’s pass to an open teammate eluded MacMath and the teammate slotted the ball home in the empty goal. MacMath recorded his only save of the game in the 34th minute when he stopped a shot from former teammate Gabriel Farfan. Through 20 games, 22 of the 30 goals MacMath has allowed have come in the second half.

London Woodberry, Defender, FC Dallas

2013 stats: 8 GP, 3 GS, 363 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 1 shot, 1 yellow card, 0 red cards

Skinny: Woodberry did not play in Dallas’ 3-0 loss to Real Salt Lake on Saturday. FC Dallas is now winless in their last seven matches, and Woodberry hasn’t played in Dallas’ last three games. His last appearance for the club was back on June 29. The last time Woodberry started a game was almost two months ago, on May 18.

Taylor Kemp, Defender, D.C. United

2013 stats: 4 GP, 2 GS, 170 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 1 shot, 0 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: United did not have an MLS match this week. Instead they played an international friendly at their home stadium Friday against Chivas de Guadalajara, a Mexican team. The game ended in a 1-1 tie. Kemp started the game at left back and was subbed out in the 83th minute. In the 38th minute, a Kemp cross found the head of a teammate who headed the ball wide. Kemp wasn’t on the field when Chivas scored their goal.

Casey Townsend, Forward, D.C. United

2013 stats: 8 GP, 3 GS, 305 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 4 shots, 1 yellow card, 0 red cards

Skinny: Townsend started the Chivas friendly. He was subbed out in the 62nd minute. United scored their goal in the 1-1 tie after Townsend had been subbed off.

Ethan White, Defender, D.C. United

2013 stats: 9 GP, 8 GS, 702 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 3 shots, 2 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: White started and played the first half against Chivas on Friday. When he was subbed out at halftime the score was 0-0.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

Jasmyne Spencer, Forward, Washington Spirit

2013 stats: 10 GP, 3 GS, 395 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists, 5 shots, 0 yellow cards, 0 red cards

Skinny: Spencer was one of six substitutes available to play in the Spirit’s 2-0 loss to Chicago Red Stars on July 10. However, she was not subbed on. Spencer also did not play in Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Seattle Reign FC, which was broadcast on Fox Soccer Channel.

sportsdbk@gmail.com