The Terrapin Club — the official support organization for this university’s athletics — will be rebranded as the Terrapin Club Scholarship Fund as part of a reorganization of the athletic development office, the athletic department announced in a release Wednesday.

The Terrapin Club Scholarship Fund’s mission is to accumulate private donations to fund the annual scholarship bill for this university’s athletes, which checks in around $11 million, so the athletic department can use revenue and other sources of income to cover other costs.

“We need to tell our story better, and it is simply the right message for our annual giving efforts,” athletic director Kevin Anderson said. “At Maryland, we invest our gifts through the Terrapin Club Scholarship Fund directly towards scholarships for student-athletes. They are why we do what we do.”

The organization’s board approved the new branding at a meeting this month.

This summer, the athletic department tabbed Tim McMurray as senior associate athletic director of development and executive director of the Terrapin Club Scholarship Fund.

“We are committed to a concierge-level approach to donor and prospect relations,” McMurray said in a release. “In addition to appropriately branding our mission to assist in new donor acquisition, we will also be streamlining our operations and service levels to be more efficient, improve communication, and cast a wider net for student-athlete scholarship support.”