Updated: Aug. 17, 2016.

Entry-level staff positions include: web developers, copy editors, sales representatives, photographers, video producers, graphic designers, opinion columnists, bloggers, data journalists, and reporters in news, sports, and diversions (our culture and entertainment section). Anyone, regardless of background, is eligible to freelance as well.

All hiring for the 2016-17 school year will be done during August and the first week of September. See sections below for more specific deadlines.

Advertising:

Advertising Account Manager

At The Diamondback you will sharpen your marketing skills while helping our clients achieve their business goals. You will gain hands-on sales/ business/ marketing experience and be involved in the day-to-day decisions of our advertising department.  Our marketing solutions include the Diamondback in print, on the web, mobile, live events, the Terrapin Yearbook and social media. The Diamondback works closely with major companies throughout the DC metropolitan area giving you additional opportunities to hone your networking skills. Training is provided as well as ongoing coaching from peers and our professional staff.

To Apply:  Email Victoria Checa at dbkadvertising@gmail.com with your resume and cover letter. 

Marketing Manager

The DBK Marketing Manager is a multitalented individual who plays an essential role across Diamondback business operations. The primary goal is to increase revenue and profitability. The Marketing Manager will work in close collaboration with Sales, Business and News.

The work environment is fun, fast-paced and driven. Marketing Manager duties may include the following:

• Oversee market research studies and focus groups
  • Promotion of events and special projects
  • Work with sales in the production of marketing campaigns and materials
  • Coordinate production of sales materials
  • Assist the Advertising Director in developing and managing sales promotions and contests
  • Other duties as assigned

Given the breadth of the responsibility for this position the DBK Marketing Manager must be creative, decisive and analytical. Good communication and leadership skills will be equally important, as is familiarity with ongoing and developing trends in media, technology and consumer behavior. 

To Apply:  Email Arnie Applebaum: arnie.dbk.umd@gmail.com with resume and cover letter

Copy Desk:

We're hiring copy editors for the fall semester. Copy editors fact-check articles and columns and proofread pages for accuracy, spelling, grammar and Associated Press style. Copy editors work two four-hour evening shifts each week and will start the week of Aug. 28. Priority will be given to applicants who will be available to work three or more shifts a week.

This position is an excellent opportunity to gain experience working in the newsroom and a great way to get involved at The Diamondback. Copy editors also get paid a biweekly stipend. All majors are welcome to apply; we especially encourage candidates with previous journalism or editorial experience.

Please send your your resume via email attachment to copy desk chiefs Jack Paciotti and Ryan Romano at copydbk@gmail.com with a subject line of "Last Name, Fall Copy Editor Application."

We will accept applications on a rolling basis, but we will give priority to those who apply by the end of the day Friday, Aug. 19.

Diversions:

Attention art, music and movie lovers, storytellers, culture junkies and creative writers — we are looking for strong writers who can pen analytic reviews, thoughtful essays and bold, interesting features. We focus on arts, entertainment and lifestyle news in the College Park and greater Washington, D.C., area as well as national culture trends that affect campus life.

Applications consist of a resume and 2-4 writing samples. Diversity in samples is strongly suggested — as a Diversions writer, you will be expected to pen reviews and essays as well as feature stories with a more news-centric topic and multiple interviewed sources.Meetings are Sunday evenings at 4:30 p.m. Writers are expected to give two story pitches per meeting.
We are no longer accepting applications for fall 2016. Please check back at the start of the spring semester, or follow us at @dbkdiversions.
Contact Diversions editors Josh Magness (joshemagness@gmail.com) and Michael Errigo (merrigo@terpmail.umd.edu) with any questions or concerns.

Multimedia:

The multimedia desk at the Diamondback is hiring video reporters for the Fall semester. Applicants should be comfortable pitching, shooting, and editing their own natural sound packages, and be willing to help cover breaking news around campus. Reporters are asked to attend brief weekly meetings, submit one natural sound style package a week, and should have an understanding of Adobe Premiere (or other video editing software). Knowledge of AP Style is a plus in the event that reporters have to write up several grafs to go with their videos.

Working with the multimedia desk is a great way to get experience shooting and editing videos outside the classroom. Both broadcast and multiplatform students are encouraged to apply. Reporters will be paid a bi-weekly stipend.

To apply, please send a resume and three links to videos you have shot and edited independently to multimedia editor Alexandra Simon at multimediadbk@gmail.com.

Interviews will be conducted at the beginning of the semester.

News:

Do you crave a deeper knowledge of the campus and local communities? Do you love writing as much as or more than sleeping? If so, The Diamondback's news section might be a perfect fit.

Every news section staff writer is assigned a beat at the beginning of each semester and is expected to cover and develop it comprehensively throughout. Beat assignments focus on either campus or city affairs, including but not being limited to: crime, City Council, administrative affairs, political advocacy and religion, transportation, SGA, University Senate, Dining Services, and science and technology. Reporters are required to meet an end-of-the-semester story quota, with an average of two stories written per week.

Staff members must attend a weekly Sunday meeting, as well as occasional one-on-one meetings, and pitch at least three stories a week.

We are not accepting applications at this time. Please email the news editor Taylor Swaak at newsumdbk@gmail.com in December for spring openings.

Online Desk:

If you have a full-hearted love of the Internet and social media, this is the desk for you.

We look for people who are passionate about Twitter, instagram, vines, gifs and most importantly — the news! All blogs have some tie-in to the campus community or College Park. Bloggers are considered journalists and reporters at The Diamondback. They write at least once a week, and the best writers on the desk fuel their own ideas and constantly pitch fresh concepts. This is not the space for pieces that would go on Thought Catalog or WordPress.

Current blogs include: Terps Watch, a sports blog devoted to covering fun stuff about the Terps and DBK + Context, which delves beyond our regular news coverage.

We are not accepting applications for staff positions at this time. If interested in a freelance writing position to test the waters, email Jason Dobkin at onlineumdbk@gmail.com.

Opinion Desk:

Have thoughts you'd like to share to the campus community? Consider applying for a position in the opinion section!

The opinion section consists of columnists and cartoonists. Columnists write biweekly pieces often focusing on political, social or cultural issues, and each column must have a campus connection of some kind. Columnists do not write about specific movies, music, or sporting events, as The Diamondback has separate sections for those topics.

Cartoonists draw one cartoon a week, providing perspective on a local, state or national issue.

If interested, please send a sample column (about 500 to 600 words) or cartoon addressed to opinion editors Reuven Bank and Will An at opinionumdbk@gmail.com.

Photography Desk:

Like being close to the action? The Diamondback photography desk is a great place for you to develop your skills as a photographer and learn new techniques. Staff photographers are expected to take daily assignments shooting news, sports and feature photos throughout the year. Photographers will be taught to edit and file photos according to our guidelines and must be able to meet strict deadlines. Scheduling is flexible, but photographers should expect to work eight to 10 hours per week. Prior experience is a plus but all applications will be considered.

Those interested in applying should send an email to Marquise McKine and Tom Hausman at photographydbk@gmail.com. You must own your own camera.

Sports

Have a passion for sports journalism? The Diamondback presents an opportunity to kick-start a promising career. Each Diamondback sports reporter is assigned a beat, a team for which they attend games and practices to provide full coverage for our print and online product. Young writers typically start out covering nonrevenue sports teams and are given chances to work their way up. We're looking for dedicated workers with creative minds who could commit about 20 hours a week to Diamondback work.

The application process will reopen at the end of September. Sports editor Kyle Stackpole can be reached at sportsdbk@gmail.com.