Students had to speak slightly louder than usual at this week’s Student Government Association meeting Wednesday. Sounds from the Juke Joint vibrated the walls and air in the Benjamin Banneker room in Stamp Student Union above the concert, which was being held in the Grand Ballroom as part of homecoming week celebrations, but the SGA legislated anyway.

SHRINKING CARBON FOOTPRINTS

The SGA voted 18-3-1 for a resolution urging the administration to eliminate carbon emissions from purchased electricity by 2020.

“We didn’t have any clear policies in place, and that’s not OK with me and that shouldn’t be OK with the SGA,” said Sustainability Director Ori Gutin. “We need to give them a specific thing that they can target … instead of just saying we need a plan.”

The bill didn’t slide effortlessly through the legislature, however. After about 20 minutes of debate and a 14-5-5 vote, SGA members first changed the word “policy” to “plan.” And, after another 30 minutes, legislators added a Jan. 31 deadline for “President Loh and the Administration to specify a plan” to eliminate emissions from purchased energy.   

ON CAMPUS TAILGATING

The first official meeting about holding a public, on-campus tailgate was held Wednesday, Vice President of Student Affairs Josh Ratner told the SGA.

The first on-campus tailgate, held Oct. 12, was treated by officials as a pilot event, and only Interfraternity Council students and their guests were invited. The IFC plans to hold another on-campus tailgating event for the football game against Syracuse on Nov. 9, and though that will again be open only to IFC members and their guests, SGA officials would like to explore a tailgate open to all students.

“It’s really specifically IFC at the moment, which I was concerned about, but they’ve put up a lot of money,” said President Sam Zwerling. “IFC is the only one whose really put up the money and effort to do it.”

The goal, Ratner said, is to hold a tailgate open to all students during the next football season, and there might be a trial event before then for a lacrosse game.

“It’s going to be a lot of work, but I think it can happen and I think there’s a demand for it,” he said.