A development on the Cafritz property would bring the county its first Whole Foods Market.

A state company behind preliminary plans for the Cafritz development, a project estimated at $226 million, withdrew the project from the Prince George’s County Planning Board Tuesday.

The applicant, Calvert Tract, LLC, was unable to meet conditions for county approval of their preliminary plan of subdivision, according to Patrick Wojahn, District 1 city councilman. It may be months before the developer reapplies, Wojahn added.

In the end, the developer needed to gain approval to build a CSX-grade railway crossing on property owned by the American Center for Physics, according to Riverdale Patch.

If approved, the development would have brought the county’s first Whole Foods Market along with additional housing for Riverdale Park. Still, the project came with harsh criticism from all municipalities involved — College Park, Riverdale Park and University Park — because plans failed to address multiple concerns.

For example in December, University Park Mayor John Tabori sent a letter listing 19 remaining conditions and nine “further concerns” the town had about the plans, according to the County Planning Board’s case file for the development.

The developers had until the end of this month to submit their plans to the county.

For more, check The Diamondback in print next week.