Every week, staff writer Kyle Stackpole will take a look at the careers of a number of former Terrapins athletes embarking on professional careers in a variety of leagues. Every Monday, it’s former baseball players. The stats are from games through July 26.

Brett Cecil, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays

2014 stats: 0-3, 3.66 ERA, 4 saves, 31 hits, 40 strikeouts, 19 walks in 32.0 IP

Skinny: In his past three appearances, Cecil has thrived on the mound. The Dunkirk native has retired nine consecutive batters and struck out two in 2.1 innings. When the Blue Jays played the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday, Cecil relieved Casey Janssen with two outs in the ninth. Unlike Janssen, who allowed two runs in the inning, Cecil got the final out of a 7-3 victory and earned his fourth save of the season.

Justin Maxwell, OF, Omaha Storm Chasers (Kansas City Royals Triple-A affiliate)

2014 stats (with the Omaha Storm Chasers): .326 average, .391 on-base percentage, 7 HR, 25 RBIs, 26 runs, 2 stolen bases, 48 strikeouts, 15 walks

Skinny: Though Maxwell has performed poorly in limited opportunities with the Royals, he continues to show his Major-League potential with the Storm Chasers. In the series finale against the New Orleans Zephyrs on June 20, Maxwell went 4-for-4 and scored three runs in the Storm Chasers’ 9-2 win. He added two more hits and an RBI Saturday against the Zephyrs in an 8-7 loss.

Adam Kolarek, LHP, Binghamton Mets (New York Mets Double-A affiliate)

2014 stats: 1-1, 4.07 ERA, 2 saves, 51 hits, 30 strikeouts, 15 walks in 42.0 IP

Skinny: With the Mets trailing 6-5 on Thursday against the Trenton Thunder, Kolarek entered the game in the eighth inning. After allowing at least one hit in his past six appearances, Kolarek retired the side in order to keep his team within striking distance. The Mets outhit the Thunder 10 to seven, but they failed to score in the ninth inning and suffered a narrow defeat.

Alfredo Rodriguez, 2B, Brevard County Manatees (Milwaukee Brewers Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: .243 average, .335 on-base percentage, 1 HR, 14 RBIs, 22 runs, 10 stolen bases, 20 strikeouts, 22 walks.

Skinny: Since he went 0-for-3 on July 20, Rodriguez has compiled a four-game hitting streak that includes two multi-hit games. His recent success at the plate has not helped the overall performance of the Manatees, though, who have lost six of their past seven games.

Jimmy Reed, LHP, Palm Beach Cardinals (St. Louis Cardinals high Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: 4-0, 2.57 ERA, 5 GP, 5 GS, 38 hits, 21 strikeouts, 1 walk in 35.0 IP

Skinny: Since the St. Louis Cardinals promoted Reed to Palm Beach, he has been an inning-eater on the mound. In five starts, Reed has pitched at least 6.2 innings in each outing, limiting the workload for the bullpen. The Gaithersburg native went seven innings and allowed two runs in his most recent start against the Daytona Cubs on Tuesday. The Cardinals’ offense provided Reed with plenty of run support after scoring just three runs in his start on July 16, when he earned a no decision. They scored four runs in the first three innings to give Reed a comfortable lead he wouldn’t relinquish.

Charlie White, OF, Boise Hawks (Chicago Cubs Short-Season Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: .214 average, .323 on-base percentage, 0 HR, 6 RBIs, 8 runs, 2 stolen bases, 13 strikeouts, 7 walks.

Skinny: White is starting to find success against professional pitching. Well, at least the pitching of the Everett AquaSox. White had a hit in each of his past three contests, all against the AquaSox. Still, the recent Terp graduate is hitting just above the Mendoza Line.

Blake Schmit, IF, Elizabethtown Twins (Minnesota Twins Rookie Affiliate)

2014 stats: .172 batting average, .306 on-base percentage, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 4 runs, 1 stolen bases, 4 strikeouts, 5 walks

Skinny: Schmit had his fifth career hit Thursday, and his first hit since July 8.

Ben Brewster, LHP, Kannapolis Intimidators (Chicago White Sox Class-A affiliate)

2014 stats: 2-0, 2.02 ERA, 1 save, 9 hits, 14 strikeouts, 4 walks in 13.1 IP.

Skinny: Brewster has settled in to more of the long-reliever role. When the Intimidators played the Hagerstown Suns on Thursday, Brewster pitched three shutout innings while surrendering one hit. His near-flawless performance allowed the Intimidators to tie the game in the eighth and send the game to extra innings. In the 13th, however, a walk-off single doomed the Intimidators as they fell, 5-4.