The last time the Terrapins football team was perfect this far into the season was 2001. Yes, 12 years ago. Football beat writer Daniel Gallen was 9 years old. Columnist Aaron Kasinitz was 7. Safe to say, things have changed drastically since former coach Ralph Friedgen took the Terps to the Orange Bowl in his first season.

But with the 2013 Terps standing at 4-0, here’s a look at how the teams stack up against each either at this point through the season.

Click photo to enlarge.

130927 02 schedules.jpg

There are a few things that stand out to us after looking at these comparisons, besides the increase in gas prices. One obvious thing would be the scheduling. In 2001, the Terps faced two conference opponents in the first four weeks and played only one team that could be regarded as a cupcake: Eastern Michigan. This year, the Terps throttled Florida International and Old Dominion to start the season.

Click photo to enlarge.

130927 03 points.jpg

Another obvious difference would be the focus of the offense. Friedgen ran a traditional run-first scheme, and he had the right personnel to do it. Running back Bruce Perry had a monster start to the season, including a 30-carry, 276-yard effort against Wake Forest in Week 3. Now, with coach Randy Edsall and offensive coordinator Mike Locksley, the Terps run a high-powered spread attack that features a renewed emphasis on the passing game to great success.

Click photo to enlarge.

130927 04 the defense.jpg

The old cliche says defense wins championships, and both teams rode stingy D to early season success. The 2001 defense was anchored by All-American linebacker E.J. Henderson anchored a defense that allowed 15.8 points per game in its 10 wins.

Click photo to enlarge.

130927 05 the players.jpg

The 2001 Terps boasted a talented group of players like Henderson, quarterback Shaun Hill and running back Bruce Perry. Perry would go on to rush for 1,242 yards and 10 touchdowns that season. Three Terps from the team were selected in the 2002 NFL draft: center Mevlin Fowler (Cleveland Browns; Round 3, Pick 76), defensive tackle Charles Hill (Houston Texans; Round 3, Pick 83) and tight end Matt Murphy (Detroit Lions; Round 7, Pick 252).

Click photo to enlarge.

130927 06 the miscellany.jpg

Of course, there’s still plenty of time left in the season for things to change. The 2001 Terps finished the year 10-1 with an ACC Championship before losing to Florida in the Orange Bowl, 56-23. This year’s Terps? There’s still plenty of potential pitfalls remaining on the schedule.

Either way, the Terps are off to one of their best starts in recent memory.

All photos are Diamondback file photos.

The Diamondback sports editors take a look back at 2001– the last time Terps Football was 4-0. (Sarah Siguenza/The Diamondback) Diamondback Previews: Week 5 from Diamondback Video on Vimeo.