Starting Wednesday, the University of Maryland’s Health Center will no longer accept walk-in appointments, according to its website.

Those without an appointment will no longer be allowed into the center’s patient care areas. Additionally, online scheduling of appointments has been suspended. Instead, people should make appointments by calling the center, according to the health center’s website.

All other Health Center services will be available remotely, including behavioral health services, substance abuse treatment and sexual assault support, according to the Student Affairs website. Medical support services will have limited hours — the pharmacy will be open one or two days per week, the lab two days per week and x-ray services one day per week, the site said.

[Read more: Coronavirus updates: The Diamondback’s ongoing coverage]

In an email to center staff members sent late Tuesday night, interim health center director Sacared Bodison announced that all employees — except for those who work in the medical services department — will telework starting Wednesday.

Medical staff members will be scheduled to work at the center on a rotating basis, and they will be provided with personal protective equipment, according to the email. All patients will be asked to wear a mask.