The University of Maryland will issue credits and/or refunds to students for room and board, as well as for a number of services they weren’t able to use, such as parking and recreation.

Students in dorms will either receive prorated credits or refunds for room and board, Patty Perillo, the student affairs vice president, wrote in a campuswide email. 

Credits granted on a prorated basis are based on the time students used certain services — in this case, it’s for services used prior to having to leave campus.

[Read more: More than 800 UMD students received help from the crisis fund amid coronavirus pandemic]

“It is our hope that the fee adjustments by the University – totaling about $39 million – will help you cope with the financial impact of the pandemic,” Perillo wrote. 

Credits will also be provided for other student fees, including shuttle services, athletics, Stamp Student Union, performing arts and cultural centers, student facilities and sustainability efforts. 

But fees related to libraries, technology and the University Health Center will not be adjusted, as the resources are “essential to ongoing operations.” Undergraduate and graduate student activities fees will also not be adjusted, nor will other academic fees. 

The student financial services and cashiering office will be in touch soon with further information on next steps, Perillo wrote.