The typical “dinner and a movie” date can get boring after awhile. If you want to make a good first impression, or simply try something a little out of the box, check out these places located in or near Washington, D.C..

1. Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens

4155 Linnean Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20008

Photo courtesy of wikipedia.org

Feel like royalty.

Hidden beneath the hills of northwest Washington is a palace open to the public. Hillwood is the perfect getaway for a romantic afternoon. Instead of dining in, you can pack a lunch, grab a blanket and find a spot in the gardens. The visitor center allows you to rent blankets and the Hillwood Café offers a variety of lunch items made from fresh vegetables and herbs from the estate’s Cutting Garden. And let’s not forget the museum, which displays “Marjorie Merriweather Post’s Most Dazzling Gems”. Bring your student ID and a date to create a magical afternoon for only a $10 suggested donation.

2. Key Bridge Boathouse

3500 Water St NW, Washington, DC 20007′

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Watch the sun set under the Key Bridge.

Imagine paddling down the Potomac River with your significant other.

With summer quickly approaching, a day out on the water is an ideal date. For $20 an hour, you can enjoy a moment of relaxation with that special someone. 

Together you will share a beautiful view of our nation’s capitol. And on July 4, you have the option to make reservations and watch the fireworks from a canoe on the river.

3. Rock Creek Park

Near: 5200 Glover Road NW, Washington, DC 20015

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Experience nature’s beauty.

Go on a journey to Rock Creek Park. Take photos. Pack a lunch. Explore the hidden pathways and enjoy a full day of leisure by the stream. This picture-perfect scene is a great place to make unforgettable moments.

4. Go Ape

6129 Needwood Lake Drive, Rockville, Maryland 20855

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Be adventurous.

If you want to show off your courageous side, throw on some tennis shoes and take your significant other to Go Ape in Rockville. This jungle is full of obstacle courses that will keep your adrenaline high. Share laughs and screams as you climb, swing and crawl from tree to tree.

5. Toki Underground

1234 H Street, NE Washington, DC 20002

Photo courtesy of photographingmypals.tumblr.com

Share a bowl of noodles.

Although the venue is quite small, the food is delicious. If you have a taste for an authentic Asian dish, stop by Toki Underground. This intimate restaurant has some sweet decor and an even sweeter menu.