The memorandum of understanding signed by Mike Locksley last week to take over as Maryland football’s head coach closely resembles the one DJ Durkin received three years ago, with a similar base salary and incentives package.

But after the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair in June — which sparked public outcry, external investigations and firings — a few caveats entered Locksley’s agreement that weren’t included in Durkin’s.

When athletic director Damon Evans officially offered Locksley the position Dec. 5, it came “with all of the duties and responsibilities customary for an NCAA Division I head coach, including responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of the student athletes,” according to the memorandum, which was obtained by The Diamondback through a public records request.

The sentiment is repeated later in the document, which highlights that the guidelines for a head coach include protecting the safety of his players. It goes further to add that the coaching staff has “no authority to hire, supervise, evaluate, discipline, or terminate any medical or training personnel.”

[Read more: For Mike Locksley, coaching Maryland football is a dream come true]

And Locksley’s memorandum states clearly that he reports directly to the athletic director — something Durkin claimed to be confused about during an independent investigation into the program.

During Durkin’s tenure, feuding within the athletic department between Evans and then-athletic director Kevin Anderson left the inexperienced coach without a clear reporting line. That, Durkin told investigators, allowed for abuse to take place within his program.

The program put Durkin on leave for the duration of the investigation, which began after ESPN first reported on the abuse allegations in August. On Oct. 31, one day after the University System of Maryland Board of Regents recommended Durkin retain his post as head coach, university President Wallace Loh backtracked and fired him.

Because Durkin was fired without cause, Maryland had to pay 65 percent of his remaining guaranteed contract — a reported $5.4 million. Locksley’s memorandum features the same clause for 65 percent of his salary if he is fired without cause.

[Read more: Report: Former Maryland football coach DJ Durkin now working at Alabama]

Both documents note that the university can fire the coach with cause for “a major violation of NCAA rules and regulations,” but Locksley’s agreement also stipulates that he can be fired with cause if he doesn’t meet additional conditions, which have yet to be negotiated.

Locksley will earn $2.5 million in base salary and supplemental income in his first year, slightly more than Durkin’s $2.4 million in his Maryland debut. His supplemental income is set to rise $100,000 annually — double the increase that Durkin had — and his deal, like Durkin’s, triggers a sixth season if he’s still with the school after his first.

Locksley’s agreement also holds the potential for $150,000 more than Durkin’s in performance-based incentives, including $100,000 if Maryland reaches the Big Ten championship game and another $50,000 if the team wins.

The memorandum features non-cumulative bonuses for postseason appearances, beginning at $50,000 for a standard bowl game and maxing out at $300,000 for the College Football Playoff championship. Winning a non-CFP bowl game adds $35,000, while taking home a national championship counts for $250,000.

The most Durkin could earn for an appearance in the national title game was $200,000.

Locksley will be awarded $50,000 if he’s named the AP National Coach of the Year, and he’ll earn $25,000 if he’s the Big Ten Coach of the Year, the same totals as Durkin.

Durkin and Locksley both received the same package for tickets, including a suite at Maryland Stadium, 24 tickets for every home and away football game, four season tickets to men’s and women’s basketball, 24 tickets to each postseason football game and three “VIP” parking passes — two for Maryland Stadium and one for other sports.

Locksley is currently the offensive coordinator at Alabama and will finish the season with the Crimson Tide in the CFP while juggling tasks for Maryland. He has begun to assemble his coaching staff and has already snagged two recruits, including flipping the commitment of four-star wide receiver Isaiah Hazel from West Virginia.